7.20.2012

How I Inadvertently Saved $173 on a Tray

I’m here to tell you about a racket that I recently discovered. It’s called Overpriced Nonsense. It’s called What Is this World Coming To. You see, I recently spray painted this hexagon tray, purchased on Marshall’s clearance for $2, a glossy white and put it on my new desk/vanity.

tray makeover 5

jonathan adler knock off tray

I then happened to spot practically the same exact tray being sold by Jonathan Adler for $175.

jonathan adler tray knock off

Say what? Who spends $175 on a tray? Even if it IS “made in Vietnam using traditional, artisanal techniques, where each piece is coated in 12 layers of lacquer, and then every coat is allowed to dry for 48 hours and water-sanded before the next coat is applied”?

Vietnameeseewhoeywatersandedwhatty?

My parents had an exchange student from Vietnam. That’s probably close enough.

544641_440490985972253_1394555609_n

Don’t get me wrong; I’m sure the $175 tray is nicer than mine. But is it really $173 better than mine? Mine has bugs encased in the finish, people. (It’s the next trend in design, I promise you. Come spring, Jonathan Adler will be selling microscopic lacquer-coated bugs for a mere $245. On sale. You heard it here, folks.) Really, nothing adds character like the lumpy corpses of pesky insects who refuse to land on any of the other billion square feet in the universe.

tray makeover3

And I’m not sure mine can live up to this standard: someone at Jonathan Adler described the $175 tray as “crack cocaine for the eyes.” I’ve been staring at mine for days and haven’t yet been inspired to scratch my skin off OR hack up black phlegm. Yet another shortcoming.

tray makeover2

But despite these obvious flaws, and the general lack of 12 layers of artisanal lacquer, I’m happy with my $2 + spray paint tray.

tray makeover

And if you aren’t privy to the water-sanding artisanal methods of crafting, the winning team for ensuring a no-chip finish on non-porous surfaces (like my plastic tray) is as follows:

no-chip spray paint finish on non-porous surfacesThe frosted glass coat gives the surface some texture that the next layer can cling to, which is generally missing on non-porous surfaces like plastic, glass, and metal. The second layer can be any spray paint (I actually used regular Krylon for the tray), but the paint + primer gets extra credit. Clear enamel gives the whole surface polish and protection.

jonathan adler knock off tray

Would you spend $175 on a tray? If you say yes, we can still be friends. And you can feel free to take me shopping anytime. ;)

P.S. My for-photo-purposes tray décor seems to have a wintery theme. That wasn’t intentional. And if anyone was wondering, the framed photo is of me as a toddler with my daddy. :)

***Linking up to Too Much Time On My Hands and Tater Tots & Jello!***

29 comments :

  1. I do dumb thing but $175 for a tray? Seriously? Does it serve me breakfast in bed? Because if so, I'm totally in.

    I love that photo of you as little Erin. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if you paid Nate $175 he would serve you breakfast in bed?

      Delete
  2. I can't believe people would actually spend that kind of moolah on a tray. I probably wouldn't even spend $30 on a tray no matter how cracked out it was! Your makeover is gorgeous though, I love the silver vase. Oh and just realized you painted the frame as well! Your photos look like something out of a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thanks Whitney! You're sweet! :)

      Delete
  3. WOW... I dont spend $175 on most of my full sized pieces of furniture, much less for a TRAY that goes on top of furniture? It's crazy. I puruse these "sale a day" sites and think that the prices are still so ridiculously expensive that I can't imagine that it was any more expensive to start with.

    Yours is awesome and the bugs add texture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7/20/2012

    So, what you gonna spend the $173 on?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know...maybe I'll save it for when those lacquer bugs come out. ;)

      Delete
  5. Very pretty! It looks great, like 175 bucks! But I definitely would not pay that much for it!

    So glad bugs in the paint is the next big thing! I'll have some stylish pieces in my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha doesn't it feel good to know that you are also ahead of the crowds? ;)

      Delete
  6. It is amazing how much we will spend on something that catches our eye. Furniture is not usually my downfall...but electronics are. So I might not spend $175 for the white tray but I would plunk down good money for a new computer gadget from Apple or Cricut cartridge or I have my eye on a Silhoutte Cameo one day. But I am a DYI wannabe so maybe there is hope for me if I ever need a white tray.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who, WHO pays $175 for a tray?! Crazy...Frosted glass spray -- that's a hot tip. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, i know those people who spend too much money on everything. their biggest fear is that somehow, someone will learn that their tray is *not* the $175 version of said tray and then... i guess, think much less of them or kick their dog or burn their house to the ground?

    i think most people, when the realize you got a bargain on something, say, "neat," and then go back to talking about whatever it was they were previously talking about... right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I better not have any of those people over...my house would be burned down in no time. It is one big fat cheap knockoff.

      Delete
  9. Erin, you are SO ahead of the curve!! Seriously - looks awesome. I can't fathom spending $175 on most things.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yikes! Who would pay $175 for a tray?! That's craziness!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You win!

    If I ever spend $175 on a tray it had better darn well come with a lifetime supply of wine to serve me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa! Jonathan Adler totally copied you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you should put your tray on kijiji for $175 and see if there are any takers. Tell them the painted bug carcasses are a new technique.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "I’m here to tell you about a racket that I recently discovered. It’s called Overpriced Nonsense. It’s called What Is this World Coming To..."

    ha! I call it "I'm a sucker 'cause I'm ponying up this kind of money just for some guy's name."

    Thanks for the frosted glass tip!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Visiting from Tatertots and Jello! I love any low cost makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Frosted glass? This is the key to all my spray paint woes. Thanks for the tip!
    I was wondering about the winter themed tray-scape so glad you cleared that up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a Jonathon Adler store by my place and have yet to go in there. My mom and I walked by the other day and I said, "someday I hope I have enough money to shop there" to which my mom replied, "Jen, even if you have enough money to shop there you will never actually shop there...you hate spending a lot of money on ANYTHING!" we decided I will always by the cheap version of stuff there...like your tray. I'm glad we're so similar Erin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lol, this is the first time I have stopped by your blog, and I am so happy I did. You are too funny, girl! :-) I do understand the pull of designer decor, but I just can't afford that! So, I much prefer to see the blogging community of DIY-ers make a knock-off version and wow us all -- so much fun! Adding you to Bloglovin and can't wait to keep up with you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Take that, Jonathan Adler! I never understand why anyone would pay those outrageous prices. I like your bug-infested tray at LEAST as much. And now you should take that $173 you saved and spend it on other decor! (Does that logic work with Rick? It doesn't with Andy, but I still try.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This tray looks great! On a related note, who has $175 lying around for a tray??

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE THIS! It turned out so cute! And seriously who would pay that much for a tray? Crazy! That's also how I feel about everything at Lululemon. Who would actually pay full price for that stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cute! And $175 is insane for a tray!! Seriously, I would have a hard time spending that much on a lot of things!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I just LOVE when someone posts something like this...because who truly would pay $175 for a TRAY?!?!?!? Your tray became much cooler and more valuable just by the fact that you spent $2 plus paint for it!! yahoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am a huge Jonathan Adler fan but I wholeheartedly agree that it's complete nonsense to pay $175 for a tray. I'd have a hard time paying $17.50 for the tray. Bravo on your acquisition and transformation!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so don't be shy. :) Thanks for being here!

Want to read more?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...