7.10.2012

And then, I made a giant wooden ampersand.

Some people supersize their fries. Some people need supersized bras. I am not in the habit of either of the above.

But I do supersize my ampersands.

DSC_0845

Why giant? And why an ampersand? Giant because I like wall stuff to be large-scale. This ampersand will take up a lovely amount of space above the currently-being-painted desk that will go in our room. I’ve also never seen an ampersand that is quite this large, so the unique-ness of it appeals to me. Unless you have already seen ampersands that are taller than swimming pools?

DSC_0850

Let’s face it: if this ampersand were being sold in the lingerie department, it would be a triple-E. Or something. I wouldn’t know. There are infants with bigger boobs. My attraction to large-scale art probably stems from my complex over my bra size.*

DSC_0841

*This is not an actual feeling of mine.

As for the ampersand part: at least in the design world (I sort of feel like a tool saying that, except I’m not entirely sure what the connotations of the world “tool” are, so maybe I don’t actually feel like one), it’s sort of become a symbol of “togetherness.” One AND the other. It’s going to be hung in our bedroom. Rick AND Erin. His AND hers. Socks AND bras. (Don't you keep yours in your bedroom?) Humans AND cats.

DSC_0840These cats take their role in our art seriously.

But anyway, at 4.5’ tall, this is life-size, and if the above photos are any indication of its versatility/how weird I am for parading an ampersand around my yard, the ampersand will most likely be joining us in all future family photos. Maybe we’ll even send it around the globe to appear in popular tourist destinations.

Picture4Photo compliments of my degree in Corny.

The best part of all this? I made it all.by.myself. I used a jigsaw (read: power tool with sharp blade and Hi-my-name-is-Erin-and-I-am-a-klutz) to make about a million cuts and came away with no trips to the emergency room and a jigsaw that was still fully functional as opposed to no longer functional because I used it incorrectly. This is a victory. Rick fully expected me to come sidling along, begging him to please do the complicated manly power tool step.

Picture1

Little did he know that I would finish this project feeling confident that I could now build an entire house or maybe even another Eiffel Tower with exclusively a jigsaw.

I am woman, hear me roar.

Hear me roar in my little girl bra.

But HOW did I make it? The lengthy tutorial will be posted tomorrow.

DSC_0792

Honesty time: I would rather watch earwax grow than write a complicated tutorial. This is because when you write a tutorial you aren’t supposed to mention things like bras or show pictures of your cats or badly altered photos of your project hanging out by the Eiffel Tower. I also hear that earwax monitoring is all the rage these days.

I hope you’re not looking in the ear of the person next to you. I made that up. See? I am not cut out for tutorials. You aren’t generally encouraged to lie in tutorials.

But said lengthy tutorial is written, nonetheless, and you will be able to read my full nail-biter of a bra-less wonder tomorrow. Get excited! ;)


Making one large shape out of individual boards was loosely inspired by this listing on Etsy, which I pinned four months ago. And since today is the Pinterest Challenge, I am linking this up to Centsational Girl, Young House Love, Bower Power, and Ten June! Go check out the other projects!

pinterest-challenge-banner

25 comments :

  1. it looks super cool! i think you and your ampersand should actually take a romantic trip to paris. why not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Can't wait to see it hanging on your wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need an ampersand that big! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooooo, me like!!!

    I should learn to not be drinking my OJ when I read your posts. The ampersand in Paris got me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE THIS!!! I can't wait to see it in the space. GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm excited all right. And I'm reading your tutorial. Don't even think I'm not. Because if there is a tutorial I'm going to read.. it had better reference bra size.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I can't wait to see it hung on the wall and I'm excited for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is Awe-Some!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl, I love me some ampersand. It's like the way cooler older cousin of this guy: @. Seeing @ on walls and pillows and such always me kind of sad. But the ampersand makes me happy. And so does large scale decor, so your project rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've already had to explain my choice to 4 different family members who are like...why do you want an ampersand on your wall? I wonder what they would ask if I had an @ on my wall.

      Delete
  10. Love the ampersand in Paris! This post made me laugh out loud at work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woah! That is a huge ampersand! What an awesome statement piece!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy Shiznits that is cool! But, not nearly as big as my bra* (*not a true statement!) Pinning!!** (**true statement)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to use a power tool! Go Erin =)
    And that is a massive ampersand...go big or go home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Color me jealous! I've been browsing fonts to see which ampersand I like best for the wall; and then I was gonna kinda papier-mâché one out of cardboard. I like yours better!
    'Grats on the power-tool achievement! Jigsaws have always frightened me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rachel7/10/2012

    Did that ampersand give you a complex? :-p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bahaha no I only got those on band trips. ;)

      Delete
  16. Ooooh I LOVE it SO much. Suddenly I need my own giant ampersand! Can't wait to see it in your house!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE it! And I'd say that it's definitely an H-cup. Don't sell yourself short with a triple-E.

    I made an ampersand out of Styrofoam to go in between the husband and I's initials for our main wedding ceremony decoration. (I covered the ampersand and initials with moss. I don't want you to think that I had a Styrofoam ampersand at my wedding. That would just be tacky.) I can honestly say that your big wood ampersand is much bigger than my Styrofoam ampersand. My ampersand would probably be about a B-cup compared to yours. I feel like I'm babbling on so I'm going to stop now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey...a giant ampersand out of just Styrofoam was my first choice, but I didn't have any Styrofoam laying around so...wood it was. ;)

      Delete
  18. this is seriously cool--well done! your posts always make me laugh, thank you for putting the extra time into photo editing and your jokes--really appreciate it all :) i have to ask something random--where did you get your rug that is pictured above with your cat on it? i really like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Katie! Thanks! The rug is from Rugs USA: here’s the link to the one I bought:

      http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-paddle-rug/black/200JRVKT17A-P.html

      :)

      Delete
  19. Anonymous7/11/2012

    so freaking fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Definitely have me some & love. Actually a smaller version (maybe hinged) in the middle for travel :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE this! I just made a big-ish (about 2 feet) ampersand out of wine corks and it looks great on our wine rack. Also, all my friends love the use of the word "ampersand" ("isn't that just an and sign?")...this would be great for a wedding, too!! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so don't be shy. :) Thanks for being here!

Want to read more?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...