7.01.2011

Up close and personal with some bathroom updates!

Last time I used the words "half bath" in a post, it was the 21st of May and I was wrapping myself in painters tape in an attempt to make stripes on the walls. (I considered doing that again in red, white, and blue tape as a "GO AMERICA" salute to the upcoming holiday, but I decided that wouldn't be all that cute. Sorta like a Lady Gaga ensemble, but with less need for controversial refrigeration.)

Anyway, we still have some more things to do (ceiling light fixture, finish painting the trim, cover up the washer and dryer that currently share this space, update the sockets and switches so they aren't beige with all of our white...) but a month and several weeks of Rick singing Kumbaya to coaxing under-sink pipes to stop leaking, we finally have some more updates on our half bath!




Rick built that vanity with his own blood, sweat, and tears. He's my hero. And we also "built" the two lights for $4 total out of applesauce jars.



The mirror is the product of spray paint and a ridiculously cheap yard sale: it was $25 for that mirror AND another one just like it. It took me approximately 0.00009 seconds to fork over my cash, because most other mirrors I've seen for that price are plastic and made for dorm rooms. Here's what it looked like when I stumbled upon it in its dusty gold $12.50 glory:


Our little bathroom is all grown up and birdless. Looking at these pictures reminds me that I still need to remove that extra toilet paper roll holder from the back of the toilet, but I'll get to it eventually. Imperfections, embraced. :)


Like I said, I'll be sharing more specifics about the vanity and our DIY lights in posts next week. For now, I must go brainstorm a new 4th of July outfit since I've nixed the tape idea.

Enjoy this holiday weekend! :)

Linking this up to Thrifty Decor Chick!


Psst...here's what the bathroom looks like now! 



Check out the details here!

20 comments :

  1. Ummm, I'm in love....the color choice for the stripes, the mirror, the lights, the vanity...

    How painful was painting the stripes? I'm thinking about jumping on the "paint stripes on the bathroom wall" bandwagon but just can't take the leap...

    You two do good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If someone breaks into your house this weekend and the only thing missing is the mirror (I would steal the stripes, but that just sounds like a lot of work taking out drywall and reinstalling it at my house.) It may or may not be me.

    That bath looks awesome, but now I'm sad for all of the homeless birds since you stole their two dimensional homes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost forgot..I'm looking for some guest bloggers. Would you be interested? I'm thinking a "my favorite project" theme. I don't care what you pick. All of your projects are awesome. If you're interested, e-mail me at decorandthedog@gmail.com!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle! I see you on EVERY blog I comment on! It's like running into each other at Target or Home Depot or something. Who's following who? haha

    I vote get on that stripe bandwagon. It's really not that difficult and the payoff is awesome! Stripes! Stripes! Stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, it looks incredible. The mirror with those stripes is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loooooove the stripes. Exactly what I want to do but have to be patient enough til I own my walls. lol

    I just read your story and it is way cute. And saw the post below this one of your anniversary gift. I. Love. It. So. Much. (Happy anniversary by the way.)

    I found you via TT&J Weekend Wrap Up. My post is two before yours.

    I can't wait to follow along with your projects.

    Mallory
    purplestpecalin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bathroom looks so sophisticated! I love everything you did. Great lamps. The mirror is absolutely perfect! (It's funny that the bird sanctuary was an "after" at one time.) Absolutely beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic transformation from tacky & dated to chic & current. You're making me want to go give me neglected 1/2 bath a second look!

    {Found you via TT&J}

    ReplyDelete
  9. ERIN. What?! This bathroom is SICK. SICK, I tell you. I thought I was looking at an inspiration shot from a magazine, but it was YOUR house. Whoa. GOR. GEOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I love the mirror. Smart purchase and it's so much better in white. Now I'm green with envy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE the light fixtures! I think they are my favorite thing in the room :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We did stripes in a room of our house this weekend :) I love them! How awesome is that mirror? I love it! Thanks for sharing- it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wowza girl, that is some transformation. The mirror is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that mirror is to die for and I love that you got it for such a great deal. What a transformation! I'm your newest follower. I love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Erin, I saw your post at The Mustard Ceiling today and just wanted to come over and say how lovely your bathroom turned out. That mirror was such a score!! I have a gold mirror in my foyer that I have been contemplating painting white and this might just be the inspiration I needed! Enjoy this journey of renovating your home together - you've come so far already!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous9/05/2011

    Wow...I love that mirror! You did a wonderful job =)
    ~Kelly @ Corner of Main

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the stripes and that mirror is great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the mirror and the lamps. We're in the process of moving our half bath and just coaxed our pipes to stop leaking so I feel your pain on that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Here from Better After..... love everything about it. Especially the lights ~ so cute... mirror.... vanity :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so don't be shy. :) Thanks for being here!

Want to read more?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...