10.20.2011

Jack Nicholson once lurked in our closet, probably.

Dear Blogger: Please do not disable my comments, break my links, and refuse to publish my posts without my permission. If you do this again, I will have to go all Jack Nicholson in The Shining on you. Love, Erin.

In honor of Halloween being right around the corner, I thought I’d share something that is a little strange about our house. Strange as in, reminiscent of a horror movie. Why? Because there was, when we moved in, some form of lock on nine of our interior doors. Yes, I counted. Mainly because I began noticing that many of them were not installed in a way that would lock people out.

They’re to lock people in.

While this type of lock exists on our office, our bathroom, and our back staircase, our favorite one was this closet of yore, which we got rid of when we were renovating our master bedroom a couple months ago. It locked from the outside. What could have been lurking behind this locked door back in the day, back in the day when people said things like “back in the day”?

Picture2
Maybe this?

shining
Or maybe this, which is less redrum and more odriew:

lampshade closet
Scary, right? (Although not as scary as when I confessed to taking the above photo with a self-timer, of course.)

The Shining, by the way, is one of the creepiest.movies.ever, in my opinion. I don’t even remember why I “watched” it (I’m the one hiding behind pillows and shrieking when the slightest thing moves on the screen), because horror movies and I don’t get along. Toy Story 3 is more my speed, what with its “Mild Peril.”

Does anyone else feel this way? Let’s celebrate our wimpiness, or, as I prefer to call it, our delicate sensitivity.

Actually, I’ve never called it that.

Wimpiness it is.

Who’s with me?

15 comments :

  1. My name is Katie, and I'm a wimp with a delicate sensitivity. I turn off scary movies, which are probably pretty tame movies for the hearty. I want peace and happiness and escape when I watch a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with ya on this one!... and those locks are pretty creepy, eek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I was all excited to be a "long-time reader, 1st time commenter" for the 1st edition of this post and then there was no comment section....and I was all I FINALLY GET BRAVE ENOUGH TO COMMENT AND I AM DENIED! Point being:

    I am a MEGA wimp. Like once I couldn't sleep after a slightly creepy episode of "Psych" wimpy. Yes. Psych. The COMEDY detective show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your post titles. I would "read" your blog if it was strictly titles. They are that impressive.

    I really wish walls could talk because I am beyond curious what went on in that place!

    Your fellow wimpy blogger,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I'm a wimp but I love watching scary movies...then making my husband hold me because I'm sure there is a murderer in every corner. What is it with old houses with things on the wrong side of doors? All of bathrooms have the light switch outside the bathroom. So strange.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How crazy! 9 locks?! Thanks for sharing your spookiness. Love it. I also love how funny the pictures are in this post. And it is awesome you used the self timer. Yay Erin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. When the husband and I first got married we lived in a tiny duplex. When I moved in there were locks on the outsides of both closet doors and holes punched in the rest of the doors. I often wondered what the french toast went on around there before we moved in.

    The last scary movie I watched was "The Ring" and I still have nightmares about it. I can't even watch scary previews. I empathize with your delicate sensitivity except I prefer to just flat out call myself a scaredy cat.

    Three Cheers to Mild Peril Movies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10/21/2011

    Wimps unite! The scariest movie I've ever seen is Signs. :)

    Wonder what all the locks were for? Hmm... my imagination is running away from me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to know I'm not the only delicate one around.... :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, that is totally creepy.
    And I'm the person that can't even watch COMMERCIALS for scary movies. Honestly, its that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The locks on the doors are really creepy. If you hear a voice saying "Get Out" don't be like the people in the movies and stay in the house, run!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those locks are truly creepy. jeeze... I shudder to think about what happened in the closets..

    I'm glad I'm not alone with the wimpy affliction. I absolutely cannot let my feet dangle off the edge of the bed. God knows what's living underneath there. ;) haha

    The movie, Candyman, traumatized me: I still can't stand to look in mirrors while in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those locks are creep-tastic. And I'm with you on the scary movies. Scary movie previews give me nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Visiting from Karens....darling kitten.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so don't be shy. :) Thanks for being here!

Want to read more?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...