4.07.2011

Rick's First Official Carpentry Project

OK, so maybe it's not completely fair to say that it's his first carpentry project; after all, he did make a birdhouse or two in middle school. In my opinion, though, this particular project that he has been slaving over for the past few evenings gets an A+ with a report card comment of "Is a pleasure to have in class." (That's the only comment I ever got on my report card. Probably because I didn't ever speak.)

When I say that Rick has been slaving, I mean that not even the greasy smell of Gorton's beer battered fish fillets being baked could lure him out of the basement. (Weird, right?) Take a look at the thing he chose over the dinner I slaved over all day for 5 minutes:




In my completely unbiased opinion, it's so not even in the same category as birdhouses. Good thing, too, because we've got enough birdhouses around here to last us quite a while.


(From this distance, it appears as those some of those birdhouses are wearing bras. 
Which is more than can be said for that boob light on the ceiling.)

You might have also noticed that our office is sporting a new wall color. Here's the closest-to-reality picture of Behr's Poppyseed (it's a really deep blue):

Hooray for room progress!

I'm now off to sort through the 42 pictures I took of this desk-building process (okay, 41; one of them was of the cat) so that my post about how this desk was born has room for something other than images. Admittedly, I might have gone a little overboard with the camera, but hey, it was my husband's first real carpentry project, so it really ranks right up there with his first lost tooth, prom day, our wedding...how could I not document every second? :)

5 comments :

  1. Jenn@P&C6/01/2011

    ahhh! so cool! hooray desk! can't wait to see more photos with the tutorial post!!!! <3

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie Waddell6/01/2011

    WOW! Bravo Rick!! Just wondering where you found plans for this desk? I have been looking for something similar to put in our next house, but everything is too small and too exspensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie,

    Thanks for the comments. I actually used our old desk as a model and just made it bigger with some minor tweaks! I will be doing a step-by-step post on how I built it in the next couple of days. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly @ VATW6/01/2011

    Oooh FAN-cy! I can't wait to show Andy that sassy fold-down keyboard drawer. You guys should be so proud of your beautiful new addition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not bad if I do say so myself!

    Just for the record, I believe the first thing I ever built was a turtle "piggy" bank, and unfortunately a lopsided one. My craftsmanship qualities sure have improved.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so don't be shy. :) Thanks for being here!

Want to read more?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...