4.25.2011

I've always wanted a big plywood box!

Look at what I came home to today:


Poor Rick. :( As it turns out, he had a spat with the drill while creating this, which I also came home to:


What you're seeing is the skeleton for our brand new ottoman, complete with storage room for all kinds of things. I think Rick was bitten by the construction bug after building the desk for our office. And this storage ottoman seemed like the logical next step, since I had searched, to no avail, for an inexpensive coffee table long enough to accommodate our 9' couch but narrow enough to not take over the whole room. I will now demonstrate how roomy it is:

There is really room for several more kittens; right, Rick? ;)

Since the ottoman is 5' long and 22" deep, I can almost fit in it laying down (yes, I am a short-o, being a mere 5' 2" tall). And, of course, I'm certain that I'll be spending lots of time poring over magazines in it while wondering what is stabbing me in the rear end. (Rick: "Oh, there's this one nail...")

If you were wondering about our real plans for this beast as opposed to our staged photo shoot plans, they consist of this: a trip to Joann fabrics, several yards of light-colored fabric to break up all of the blue/gray that seems to be usurping the room, and some upholstery tools.

But hold up. I just said usurp. Why did I just say usurp? What, am I studying for the SATs again?
*Shudder.*

Anyway, before I can get to that upholstery, I need to go buy some Hello Kitty Band-Aids. Rick says they will usurp his pain make his boo-boo feel alllllllll better. 

I think if you average "usurp" and "Hello Kitty" you get normal. At least, I'll keep telling myself that.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter! :)


11 comments :

  1. Natalie6/01/2011

    Reminds me of my husband! His next project is building steps for our pool :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO MORE KITTIES! (unless, of course, they are on my Band-Aids) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. michelle6/01/2011

    Excited to see this ottoman!! Hello Kitty fixes everything...or maybe you invest in some of these...
    http://pinterest.com/pin/16030609/ :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly @ VATW6/01/2011

    LOL @ the average of "Hello Kitty" and "usurp."

    We're trying to psych ourselves up to build an oval ottoman, so maybe seeing yours come together will be just the inspiration we need. There's some pressure for ya. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather6/01/2011

    Looks great so far!! I was tossing around the idea of building an ottoman since we just bought a mitre saw this weekend and have gotten pretty good with the table saw for our radiator-cover project! I can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda@Serenity Now6/01/2011

    I am so, so jealous of all the storage you'll have when that is complete! Wow!!! I'm so glad you found my series helpful! Thanks for stopping by today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel6/01/2011

    Just so you know...I have informed Adam that he needs to make me a large plywood box. :-p

    And I also might be able to recreate your date letters idea to in a way. Adam saved all the letters I wrote him while he was at bootcamp and I have the letters he wrote me while I was at boot camp. Score for my boy being sort of sentimental. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. michelle6/01/2011

    Posted a question on your old blog.but I don't know if you.still.check it. Do you remember what cart the deer came from on the frame you made in your craft room? I love it. The new house looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Michelle! I actually got the deer die-cut from this website:
    http://www.svgcuts.com/blog/category/fsvgotw/

    I don't know if that exact file is still there (they phase them out) but it has tons of other free SVG files to use with the program Sure Cuts a Lot (SCAL). I'm not sure if you have this or not, but I love it--it lets you cut out anything you want including words in any font on your computer, and you can manipulate the images that come with the Cricut cartridges (you can stretch them, weld them together, and other fun stuff). All you do is connect your Cricut to your computer with a usb cord and SCAL takes care of the rest. (Am I sounding like a commercial yet?)

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want my husband to make meeeee something.

    You two are too cute.

    And guess how tall I am, Miss Erin. 5'2". (Anyone else reading my random comments will not understand why they seem so strange...and random.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Erin,
    Where did you get your couch? I love it and have been looking for a nine foot couch forever. (Well, in my head I want the super long white couch Elvis had in Graceland...)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so don't be shy. :) Thanks for being here!

Want to read more?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...