6.12.2013

Baby’s First Furniture {Dresser Makeover}

I know I keep saying how great Rick has been with this whole Prep the House for Baby and Hello We Have a Deadline Thing and Blah Blah Blah. But come on. I am basically more useless than a  sirloin steak at a PETA convention…and Rick has been amazingly motivated to pick up my slack and do helpful things like make sure our baby’s clothes aren’t still stored in a cardboard box four months from now.

dresser turned changing table

See? I plan on keeping him around.

With my direction, Rick stained the outside of the dresser in Minwax Dark Walnut and painted the drawers Benjamin Moore Simply White in semi-gloss. The ceramic knobs I purchased from Joann’s like eight years ago. All six knobs total cost approximately the same amount as a sirloin steak. Maybe. I don’t actually remember. It was eight years ago after all. Plus I can’t say that I’ve ever actually purchased steak.

dresser makeover (2)

The dresser used to belong to Rick’s parents. It has been sitting silently in our storage for a while. But after we found out I was pregnant, it spoke to me. It said “I was meant to store the cutest clothing in the world and snuggle up with the cutest poop in the world.” And thus was born the idea of making it a dresser/changing table combo.

dresser makeover

Speaking of poop, the middle drawer needs to be fixed…which is why it currently rests without much of a gap on the bottom drawer. But since it is still functional and Rick is busy renovating our entire house while I sit on my growing tush and compare the price of knobs to the price of beef, the drawer will be staying this way temporarily.

dresser makeover

While we wait for Rick to finish, let’s all take a moment to squeal in delight over the baby girl clothes that could potentially be stored in this dresser.

DSC_1607

Both $1 from yard sales. Both with tags still on. I’d say booyah except nobody says that. Plus I was informed by a student that I was “too old to have swag” and the use of booyah only confirms that.

baby dresser makeover

Despite my alleged lack of swag, I still lead an exciting life:  a couple weeks ago, we started feeling serious Baby movements from the outside. I’d say she’s playing soccer but she happens to be the spawn of the two most non-athletic people on the planet. True fact. (As opposed to a fake fact?) Swagless AND inept at sports. Our child is doomed. At least her mom is photogenic.

DSC_1661

Mmmhmmmm.That’s right. Booyah.

Have you inherited any furniture lately? Who wants a steak now? Anyone want to challenge me for the title of Least Athletic Human Being to Ever Briskly Walk the Planet?

*Linking up to Serenity Now!*

34 comments :

  1. You're adorable.

    I like the two tone look of the dresser. Good choice! Rick gets an award. Steak?

    I'm going to laugh when your kid becomes a NFL star.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha seriously if our kid is interested in sports I won't know what to do. We'll have to hire out for that part of child-rearing. :P

      Delete
  2. LOVE it! the splash of color on the knobs is awesome, too! and you, yes, never cuter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dresser looks awesome but I am dying over those baby clothes.
    PS - Never cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so so cute! I would have never thought of the stain and white combo - it looks great!! And so do you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dresser looks awesome! I've never thought about painting the drawers but not the body before. How did the stain on top of stain work? Did Rick just sand it before staining? Is there anything special you have to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, he sanded all of the previous finish off before putting on the new stain and paint. He started with a low-grit sandpaper then increased to a higher grit for the smoothest surface. That's it, though!

      Delete
  6. The dresser is amazing! Love the colour combos and those legs are beautiful! You are freaking adorable. Seriously. Your baby may not have swag or athletic skills but it's bound to be super cute with an awesome sense of humour!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the brown, white, and turquoise combo! I just redid some nightstands and debated on keeping some portion of them the stained wood, but ultimately went all white and turquoise. Now your dresser is making me re-think that decision...
    p.s. girl clothes start cute and just keep getting cuter as they get older!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6/12/2013

    You are AWESOMELY cute! And those baby girl clothes are, too. That little mid-century modern dresser is just to die for and your Rick made it that much better with the paint/stain job and your knobs.

    You know that if 2 athletically-challenged parents have an athletic child, all you have to do is attend the games and cheer! It's up to the coach to know what's going on... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This may be an inappropriate comment but are those boobs I see on your chest in your picture? congrats you now officially need to wear a bra in public

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahahaaaaaaa I am dying of laughter right now. It's a dream come true...

      Delete
  10. OH MY GOSH I love that dresser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And you are sooooo cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i adore everything about this dresser makeover! the style of the piece, stain, paint, and especially the knobs! ive been searching for knobs similar to them in that exact color--guess i should have started looking 8 yrs ago huh? :) the dresser is beautiful--cannot wait to see it in the nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love how the modern feel of this dresser now that it's painted and stained. Great job, Erin. (or should I say Erin's hubby). And you look so cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're adorable.

    The dresser is also adorable.

    The little bitty baby clothes make me squee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look amazing, as does the dresser. I want those knobs very badly.

    And how cute is that fuzzy pink suit! I bought a similar one for Nash when I was pregnant, but for some reason the size I got him is the size that will fit him this summer... I blame pregnancy brain.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the dresser. I'm obsessed with the combination of white and dark walnut stain!

    And you're totally adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely love the dark walnut paired with white. It looks amazing and is hardly recognizable from the before picture. We took an antique store find and turned it into our dresser, It's one of my favorite things about Noah's nursery. http://www.colortransformedfamily.com/2011/09/22/how-to-paint-a-dresser/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous6/14/2013

    Cute dresser makeover! I just stumbled on your blog and I am also 22 weeks along with our first baby!! Congratulations and God bless!! :) --Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Congrats on the pregnancy! :)

      Delete
  18. You are hilarious. That dresser did a complete 180! Gorgeous makeover. Also, virtual high-five on the yard sale clothes! I'm ALL ABOUT the yard sale clothes for kiddos. They grow out of them so fast and you can snag them for 25 cents a piece at yard sales sometimes. (Although $1 with tags is an amazing deal!) Yay for finally feeling baby kicks! BEST FEELING EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I lurve that dresser and I love the idea of staining + painting. It's something I don't have the patience to do. Staining mostly, since I'm terrible at it.

    But it looks really good and the clothes - deadly in their cuteness.

    Also - have to tell you that because of your post, we marched to the doctor and asked to have a lead test (they aren't required in our neck of the woods). We got it done and were relieved that Henry's levels are below normal. Thank goodness. I am so glad you wrote that post because it really opened our eyes to dangers we never knew existed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look so cute.
    And that dresser is beautiful!! I love the paint, the stain, and the knobs. Super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love everything about this post!! You are the cutest pregnant woman ever. And your hubby is the MAN- that dresser is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love that dresser!! it's so deco chic

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely piece...and you made me laugh while reading it. Thanks!
    http://www.creativeramblingsblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are adorable! And I love that dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are so cute and I love the dresser. I'm in search of knobs right now for a bathroom cabinet we found that needs a more rustic look. I wonder if they still carry the ones you found 7 years later??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually did see them at a Joann store recently--it would be worth looking! :)

      Delete
  26. For real, I am your competition to be the least athletic woman on the planet. And I'm quite sure my teenage son would say I have no swag. (Although, like you, I know I've got swag ... just not the kind of swag that teenagers appreciate.)

    The dresser is tres-cute, by the way. I'm a fan of the stained/painted combo. And I love mid-century furniture pieces anyway. Got a few in my basement waiting in the queue for a makeover, and I've been thinking of doing the same treatment on one of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Booyah!!! To it all. The upgrade. Your growing tush. The too cute baby girl clothes for $1. The comparison of knob and sirloin pricing. I think your students are just too young to get it. :)

    I've been getting all caught up on your goings on and now declare that Bicky is the best name ever and your herringbone is downright awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's right, Erin. You can't say booyah. That's so 37 seconds ago. You have to say "boss". Everything is boss...according to the completely swag 12 year old, known as my son, who roams this house with his iPod5. (His new, and internet-disabled/app-store disabled iPod). That's right. Disabled, baby. We are the world's most non-boss parents ever. (And we'll keep it that way for our son's innocence until he's like 42...okay, maybe 41).

    Oh yes, and the dresser rocks and you are completely...er...fun...in your picture. You rock, too. Who cares about photogenic. Real is better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. You know I love this before and after!! Thank you so much for taking the time to link up to the par-tay!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so don't be shy. :) Thanks for being here!

Want to read more?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...