7.26.2012

Random Acts of Craftiness Challenge: Are you in?

What happens when you breed crafting with blogging and random household items and brain exercises? You get the Random Acts of Craftiness Challenge, obviously.

random acts button2

…whiiiiich might be as mutated and genetically deformed as one might expect a quatro-breeding experiment to be; however, sometimes the bizarre is the most fun. And while I am not usually a proponent of genetic super-mutations that cause things like four pinky toes and hairy tongues, I do like fun. And, friends, you can get in on the genetically-bizarre fun, too. (I’m sure you’ve always dreamed of being part of something like that, no?)

Here’s how it will work:

1. Receive the challenge. Beginning in September, you will receive an item challenge at the beginning of the month. Twelve months, twelve items. These items will not be the once-random-but-now-seen-everywhere blogland fodder, like paint chips. Rather, these items will not yet have been widely acknowledged as potential craft items, like chain, or dice, or toothbrushes, for example. (Are you scared yet?)

2. Share your project. On the last Friday of each month, you will share the project that you made using the item.  The only rule is that whatever you come up with can’t be a direct copy of something that has already been done, or at least as far as you are aware. There is obviously nothing wrong with amazing ideas that other people have had, but this challenge is about trying NEW things and stretching ourselves to look at everyday products more creatively. Don’t worry: I am choosing items accordingly so that there is less potential for your brain to be stifled by the “already done.” I know how that goes.

3. Celebrate with the other participants. I’ll have a preset list of participating links that you can copy into the end of your own post so that guests can hop from one creation to the next, and so can you.

4. Repeat! If you dare. ;)

toothbrush craft

You might be sitting there thinking:

1. But Erin, what if I fail or my project turns out less than stellar? No problem. You don’t need to worry about achieving perfection each month. Honestly, sometimes fails make the best stories. We can all laugh together! (Still scared? Please read this post about why you CAN and SHOULD do this.)

2. But Erin, I know there will be a couple months when I’ll be too busy to participate. Again, no problem. As long as you’re in for the majority, we’ll let you stick around. ;)

3. But Erin, I’m shy or new to your blog and you don’t know who I am. Say it with me: no problem! I’d love for this to be an opportunity to get to know some other bloggers a little better, so if you're thinking you’d like to join in, please don’t be bashful. (coughcraftylurkersahem) I promise I don’t bite, and, to my knowledge, neither do the other bloggers who have already said they’re in.

4. But Erin, that mention of hairy tongues totally grossed me out. My apologies.

random acts button weird 2

To join in (hooray!) or if you have any questions like whether or not toothbrushes are actually going to be making an appearance in this challenge: Email me at emuff25@gmail.com OR use the contact tab above OR leave a comment below, as long as your email address is linked to your comment somehow so I can respond and keep you in the loop.

I can’t wait to get started! :)

UPDATE: Due to the unexpected level of interest, the whole “sign up” and “we’ll keep everyone in an email loop” is no longer manageable. That’s GOOD, though! From now on, information will just be disseminated via my blog. And you can still join in on the fun—just keep an eye out for more information! The post with the juicy details will go live on Monday, 8/6!

43 comments :

  1. I'm excited and VERY SCARED about this challenge. I'm particularly scared about the toothbrushes... please dont make that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha don't worry. That one is just for fun for this post because it made me laugh. But you can blame it on Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove. ;) (Hi Kristen.) :D

      Delete
    2. Haha to be fair, it was Monday AM and I was listing anything that popped into my mind. This is really the fault of the sketchy guy handing out toothbrushes next to the subway entrance!

      Delete
    3. Would he like to participate in our challenge? ;)

      Delete
  2. I'm in too! Sounds fun and super interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn! I was hoping I could finally post my used-toothbrush mobile. Ah well -- sign me up for the challenge anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I signed up to be your partner in crime in this. I'm slightly terrified.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in, but also scared to death. I see screwdrivers, rocks and feathers in my future. Better put my creative hat on now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh! Can I join? Even if I'm scared?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! From the looks of things, you aren't the only one who's scared. ;)

      Delete
  7. Yes! This sounds so fun!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do you share what you've done? Do you have to have a blog?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am tempted to join...ok...I am in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm kind of in. Can I be kind of in? A LITTLE bit in? Retaining the freedom to opt out occasionally when I am intimidated (and/or busy, but probably intimidated)?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks to Our Pinteresting Family. I am in too {and your newest follower}. I love a good challenge and it sounds like you are going to bring it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you assigning blame already, Amy lol.

      Delete
  12. It's a little scary, but I think that might be exactly what I need to spice up my life. I'm going to try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know I already agreed to participate in emails, but I wanted to get my official "I'm in!" comment over here ;) haha

    This will probably end up being totally hilarious to see what things we have to craft with... and what we all make in the end!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Count me in! This should help jump-start those creative juices to flow :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. you have me intrigued :)

    littlethingsbringsmiles@gmail.com

    katie

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK, you and your blog husband michelle talked me into it. Count me in please! (even though I am still a little nervous about it ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. SUch a fun idea. Sharing with my fb followers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds so fun and creative. I'm going to give it shot. I found you through Decor and the Dog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. interesting? fun? crazy? I am in!
    ljanning@topthistopthat.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Who doesn't love a once a month, 12 month challenge? Let's do this!
    megan[at]themcbaileys[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds AWESOME.. sign me up. I am a new follower, and came over from Decor and the Dog.. hopefully any friend of hers is a friend of yours! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Definitely IN! Definitely excited. Definitely intimidated/scared. Ready to channel that fear into genius crafts...or absurd fails...probably the latter. OK, I'm really excited to see what everyone ELSE will do with the randomness.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Michelle sent me here. I was the girl in high school who made everyone toothbrush bracelets so BRING IT ON.
    [[mselisabs@gmail.com]]

    ReplyDelete
  24. You crazy woman! I am so happy to see a challenge like this so we can do away with the been-there-done-that stuff we've all been seeing way too much of. I truly will consider this but am scared about committing to the time involved.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sure, why not!? I'm in (with the caveat that we have plenty of time to complete. I have a full time "day job", a family and holidays are pretty full already.) I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous8/01/2012

    Hi Erin! I'm a new follower. Can I still sign up for the challenge? Sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Due to interest, the original plan outlined in this post is changing--stay tuned for more up-to-date information!

      Delete
  27. Can I join in as well this sounds like fun! Found you through Popcorn on the stove xox

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous8/13/2012

    I'm so in!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so don't be shy. :) Thanks for being here!

Want to read more?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...