1.22.2013

Rick Reupholsters a Chair, Again

Sometimes, Rick does crazy things.

One time, he jumped off the back of a moving truck, thinking he could outrun it. (He couldn’t.)

One time, he wrote the following in an email: “I’m sure anything you cook will be delicious.” (hahahaaa yeah right.)

One time, he decided he wanted to reupholster a chair for the second time. (And he did.)

chair reupholstery

The first time he reupholstered this chair was three years ago. It had been abandoned in our old apartment and covered in an unfortunate specimen of gold velour and crusty pizza sauce, so we thought, hey, why not put it out of its misery?

DSC00041

I picked out black and ivory zebra print for it at the time, thinking black and white would be timeless, neutral and could go anywhere, including under a cat.

DSC00074Gingerbread before she decided it would be a good idea to go on the see-food diet.

Such a good think-aheader, I was.

decor pictures 001

Buuuut then I grew up a little bit and learned that zebra print is not really neutral, even in black and white. And that it’s also not really my thing, at least not on large pieces of furniture…or on old ladies with fake tans who still shop at Hollister.

Anyway, since we moved almost two years ago, we have had the chair sitting around with no room to put it in, so Rick finally decided he wanted to redo it. Off we traipsed to Joann’s, where I picked out some actually neutral red tag upholstery fabric for $6 a yard. The rest is history.

neutral reupholstery fabric

At one point during this process, Rick stated that when he retires, he would like to reupholster chairs. I told him no need to wait until he retires, that I’d be glad to fulfill his dreams immediately by purchasing a slew of hideous used furniture that he could immediately reupholster to his little heart’s content. He thanked me for being such a thoughtful wife.

DSC_1184

Is it perfect? No. Does it work? Yes. Did it cost way less than a new chair? Yes. With the money we saved, I think I’ll buy Rick reupholstery classes. (You think I’m kidding. And so does he.)

chair reupholstery

What are some crazy things you or your husband have decided to do? Anyone have a chair they’d like to mail to Rick in the name of making his wishes come true?

29 comments :

  1. That looks great! I have a sofa I'd love to have reupholstered! Expect a big package soon 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. uum, sure i have a chair i can mail to rick! it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first half of my marriage, my husband always joked that whatever I was loving at the moment, he would make it for me - out of wood. Seriously, he never tired of that joke. When we moved from California to Illinois, his home state, and we bought rural property, he began to do just that - make me so many things I liked - out of wood. Raised beds, decks, screened rooms, a pantry, fences for my garden. It's been wonderful. My latest wooden gift? A compost bin for my fenced in raised beds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! I love it. Tell Rick he did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This gave me a good chuckle, especially the Hollister comment! Rick did a great job!! I think we need a tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the chair - and that new fabric is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks awesome! Great job, Rick! I definitely have a chair or him to redo, but it's on the opposite side of the country. :)

    PS- Don't you wish you could time travel to prevent yourself from making design decisions you want to redo now? We would definitely pick a different wall color for basically every room in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great! You should totally encourage your husband to follow his dreams (especially when they result in awesome new furniture). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I can't believe your husband did that! Shayne is not artsy or creative in the least so there is NO WAY he would ever even think to attempt this. Good for Rick! I'm impressed!! I'll be sure to send any reupholstery projects his way.

    Great chair btw- love its lines!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How. the. HECK. did he do that?! I'm so impressed! He just upped the ante for Andy in the DIY Husbands category.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe he did that! It looks great! I love the new, neutral fabric! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. He did a great job!! Awesome. I really want to attempt doing this one day =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks so good! Very impressive, he did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Go Rick go! He is available to rent? I've got a few things around here that need to be reupholstered...

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH my chair is already in the mail :) beautifullll

    ReplyDelete
  16. Zebra is always neutral. I'm not sure what you're talking about. :P

    Keep that husband of yours. Drugs and chair reupholstery. You are set for life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to take my 17 daily pills and vitamins from that very chair someday. ;)

      Delete
  17. Always been scared to tackle re-upholstery. But then I found the perfect French Provincial chair that just needs recovering. Now I HAVE to learn.

    Your husband did an amazing job - love the neutral so much better than the zebra (although I think it looked great under the pictures in the photo)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well played, Rick!
    Really loving the vibe of the chair/throw/pillow/wall color.
    (Did Rick fashion the pillow as well?) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha he fashioned the pillow by throwing it off of the couch and onto the chair. ;)

      Delete
  19. Anonymous1/23/2013

    Your Rick did an amazing job on that chair! My Rick is not into upholstery, he's into painting furniture we find. Lately he likes the color silver, so we currently have two found chairs and a chest of drawers that have been painted silver so far - oh, and I forgot about the dining table that we sold to a friend that got the silver treatment, too. Luckily our bachelor friend thought the table looked "really cool." I just try not to leave anything outside too long because it will turn silver eventually...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous1/23/2013

    Oooh, you've inspired me! I have an old parsons chair that I rescued from our apartment dumpster but it looks like the leather was a scratching post for a fine feline. I am going for it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. it's official...I need my own Rick. Can you rent him out by the hour? I could figure out some project for him to do. Love the chair, old and new.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm totally impressed. He did an awesome job. Reupholstering is no joke. I like the new neutral color you went for.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Both versions of the chair look awesome! It's actually hard to believe that all three pictures are of the same piece of furniture. A change in pattern or fabric can really transform a piece completely, and save you a ton of money in the process. Who needs to buy new furniture when a quick change can bring new life to what you already have!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Can I mail him a whole sectional? He's seriously impressive! Does he give other husbands lessons?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I wish I could upholster. I just discovered your blog and I love it. Newest follower.

    Lura
    x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am muy impressed.

    He's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so don't be shy. :) Thanks for being here!

Want to read more?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...