1.08.2013

Butterfly Explosion Thingy Wall Art (and Things I Am Bad At)

The following is a brief compilation of things I am bad at.

  1. Video games. My eye-hand coordination rivals that of a dust mite.
  2. Cooking. I once dumped an entire bag of flour into a pan of alfredo sauce. It was an accident, but still.
  3. Athletics. See #1. Dust mites once beat me in a game of dodgeball.
  4. Mingling. Social butterfly I am not.
  5. Geography. Don’t ask me where a foreign country is located on a globe. I have family members (coughmomcoughbrother) who have the world memorized, or something. I sit by and try to look intelligent. And clean up stray dust mites.
  6. Hanging things on walls. I have the HARDEST TIME figuring out what to fill empty space with. Dust mites don’t count. Take this exploding butterfly cut-out thingy, for example. (And add “Aptly and cleverly naming new projects” as #7 on the list of things I am bad at.)

DSC_1177

Its predecessor, this Mayan relic, hung sideways on the living room wall for a good 6 weeks before I replaced it with the above butterfly explosion thingy. Family members who know things about geography questioned my decision-making and added “eyesight” to their mental lists of skill sets I am lacking.

DSC_1194

The process of actually replacing the Mayan relic was simple once I figured out what to do. I used my Cricut and Sure Cuts a Lot to cut out a bunch of butterflies in varying shapes and sizes and colors, then glued them all down in an exploding-ish pattern.

DSC_1174

The frame itself was $20 at Goodwill. I know how expensive large frames can be, so I bought two. The other one is hanging on the other side of the living room. Yes, it is also sideways, and yes, it also features desert pottery. I read somewhere that desert pottery looks better sideways. And now you read it somewhere, too, so it’s definitely a fact.

DSC_1173

DSC_1193

This whole project was inspired by this sculpture I found while browsing Pinterest. The butterflies are made out of recycled beer cans, people.

Picture1

I’d have made mine out of beer cans myself but, whaddya know, we were fresh out of beer cans. And tin-smithing is #8 on the list of things I am bad at.

What are your self-professed non-talents? Any great ideas for what to fill the other frame with? Can you think of a better name for this project?

Linking up to the Pinterest Challenge with Megan (The Remodeled Life), Katie (Bower Power), Sherry (Young House Love) and Michelle (Decor and the Dog).

28 comments :

  1. I am soooo bad at papercrafts! So I'm really impressed by this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cricut is collecting dust! This really inspires me to make something... What you did turned out so nice! I really like it. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If i cut those butterflies out of beer cans I don't think I'd have any fingers left in the end. Love your exploding butterfly art, much better than the pots :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it was a good thing then that we had no beer cans because I sort of am partial to having fingers.

      Delete
  4. oooh i love it! so cool! i love the look! i am thinking butterfly release.... you know when you raise butterflies and release them- it looks like that to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES that is perfect. It totally looks like a butterfly release. I didn’t even think of that! (Obviously.)

      Delete
  5. That was a clever idea! I love Cricuts!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is sooo neat!!! I'm terrible with Geography too :) Oh and video games. But I just really don't like video games so maybe that's why!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great! Love the colors, too - they aren't the colors you'd expect butterfly art to be in :)

    I'm right with you on #2-5. haha. Video games I'm okay at. Hanging stuff on the wall.. it's iffy. Sometimes I get it right on the first try - other times there are fifteen holes behind the frame ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I hope you put "learn how to tin-smith" on your resolutions this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great! I love this idea... going to have to see what I can craft with my Cricut now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Mayan relic was cute, but I love the butterflies! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooo, pretty!

    Non-talent. Skating. Anything kind. I still have nightmares of rolling skating days in PE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHHH I should have added skating to my list. It goes along with my non-athleticness, I guess.

      Delete
  12. LOL at tin-smithing is that even a real thing?

    butterflies always make me think of Mariah Carey..but somehow this is not very diva. in a good way!!
    How about calling it non diva buttery fly art ??

    I am terrible at math. and I work in finance. really. thank the lord for computers and adding machines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea if tin-smithing is a real thing…I guess it is now. ;)

      Delete
  13. You should probably start an etsy store and sell things like pillows and prints that you make from your cricut. I would totally buy your "love came down" print. this butterfly print is super fun and I'm not even a butterfly fan. seriously, Erin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hahaha! How I've missed your posts, Erin!

    Good show on the clay-pottery-pictures-hung-sideways-so-I-can-see-how-this-frame-fits-the-room experiment. I wish I could find nice frames such as yours at my Goodwills. (Although, I could set you up with some faux Mayan pottery out the wazoo here in the southwest...)

    The butterfly explosion is such a wonderful way to tie in all the room colors to one piece of art. Well played, Dust Mite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this, but why would you cover up those beautiful pots? :)

    Seriously, I want to totally rip this off now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The definitive title:
    BUTTERFLIES RELEASED FROM MAPUTO, MOZAMBIQUE en route to PORT MORESBY, PAPUA NEW GUINEA.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't do sports... of any kind. I am the least athletic person that I know. Also, I'm not good at driving... yeah, that's not the best.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks great! I love all of the butterflies! You can add making awesome butterfly art to your list of things you're good at!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am completely impressed that you made that. I totally thought it was a store bought butterfly explosion thingy. Well done!! Don't worry about those other things. If someone ridicules you, just tell about your talent for making butterfly explosion thingys.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous1/11/2013

    I'm with you on the athletics...and wall space. The butterfly explosion looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hilarious. The post was hilarious not the project :). The project is so well done. It's hard to believe that you cut (even with a machine) all of those butterflies. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that butterfly art piece! Way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm from Maine and someone from Florida once asked me what state that was in. :) And nice butterflies!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so don't be shy. :) Thanks for being here!

Want to read more?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...