9.28.2012

October’s Craftiness Challenge, Revealed.

First of all, a BIG thank you to everyone who bravely persevered September’s game pieces challenge. You rock. It was so fun going through the links and seeing what you’ve been belaboring over the past month. I haven’t finished looking through all of them, but will after school today!

It was pretty clear that people found game pieces challenging, which I guess is why it’s called a challenge, but in the interest of maybe making the next one a little easier,for October’s theme, I’ve selected…

Odds and Ends From the Hardware Store!

I hope a few of you just breathed a sigh of relief. ;)

Some tips:

1. As before, stay away from the items that have been used a lot already, like paint chips, paint sticks, washers, etc. (Unless you're going to do something fresh and original with those items.) Think, instead, along the lines of paint cans, PVC pipe, chain, wire nuts, and other odds and ends from the hardware store that aren't typically associated with a decor or craft project. Stroll through the aisles and see what strikes you.

2. Your project must not have been done before with the item you choose. To clarify, this means that if you choose, for example, to make a sunburst mirror out of, say, PVC pipe, that's fine: a sunburst mirror has obviously been done before, but it hasn't been done with PVC pipe. (Not that it should be, either. Although I guess you never know.) A sunburst mirror out of paint sticks, however, would not be okay: it's been done. Does that make sense?

3. Do a mind cleanse when brainstorming for your project by avoiding Pinterest and Google. Just think with your own brain.

blog craft challenge

Any questions? Are you in? Let me know in the comments section! :)

UPDATE. My brain farted and forgot to tell you the deadline the first time around: the link party will be open Wednesday, October 31st-Friday, November 2nd. Please just wait to post your project until at least that Monday, October 29th. And anyone can participate, even if you didn’t participate in September’s challenge! All are welcome!

29 comments :

  1. Woo hoo, I'm pumped! Thanks again for hosting! Now I'm off to brainstorm so I can get the really dumb ideas out of the way and hopefully get closer to something moderately cool. Hardware store, hmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting and fun. Who can participate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone! The more, the merrier. :)

      Delete
    2. Antonella10/01/2012

      Ok. :) I'm putting on my thinking cap!

      Delete
  3. Hoping to participate this time! Time to brainstorm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When is the deadline?

      Delete
    2. Oops--my mistake. The link party will be open Wednesday, October 31st-Friday, November 2nd!

      Delete
  4. Awesome! Already have a few ideas in mind and can't wait to get started!! I assume the deadline is the same time next month?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still in! And flattered you used my sunburst reference! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a newbie to this. I've loved looking at everyone else's projects. Wondering what I can come up with :) I suppose the canopy out of scrapwood is probably out since it's already *done* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I majorly failed on September. I didn't get my energy back until... yesterday. :) Anyway, I am super excited about this! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok, i half assed my september challenge and never did finish, SOO busy with the house. but we have enough crap laying around the house I think I can manage a crafty challenge...maybe this month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I seriously think I can DO this one. Seriously. Hardware stores don't tape everything shut and only have things in boxes.

    Definitely breathed a sigh of relief.

    We'll spread the word on Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I almost said something about boxes not being taped shut when I was describing this month's challenge--I was thinking of you. ;)

      Delete
  10. I'm in - sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm excited! Definitely going to have to try not to rely on past things I've seen online... This will be fun though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooooh. The possibilities are endless. That just may be a problem! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ValenzMom9/28/2012

    I'm in, too, for my first challenge! Hope I can come up with something unique and crafty...

    ReplyDelete
  14. awesome!
    I can hide the cost of this challenge on the hubs' Lowe's card!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a little bit skeered about this one. I will have to go snooping around Lowe's to get some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, that's better. I see nuts and bolts and screws in my future. A little easier to deal with than pieces from "Hungry, Hungry Hippo" (or am I the only one who remembers that game?)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in too! Does rope or chain count as odds and ends?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm in...I think I can go shopping in my basement, so that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Not gonna get mine done this month but I'm anxious to see what everyone comes up with.

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so don't be shy. :) Thanks for being here!

Want to read more?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...