4.17.2012

Strawberry Raspberry Galette Slab Pie

I know what you’re thinking. What? Erin is posting a recipe? The same girl who proclaims to make brussel sprouts that taste like battery acid? Yes.That girl is posting a recipe—sort of. “Sort of” because it’s not my recipe—it’s Faith’s of The Stirring Place, who generously agreed to guest post over here. Read on for Faith’s drool-inducing berry dessert!


You and I are about to go somewhere special.
(No, not the Caribbean like our girl Erin, but someplace just as great.)
It's a little place I like to call nostalgia.

See, once upon a time there was a girl who loved berries and summertime.
They were ultimate companions and the berry best of friends. (har har)

One day this girl found an effortless berry recipe whose first bite brought back wistful memories of warm June afternoons.

Let me take you there...


There are a lot of recipes out there that claim ease but leave you flour-dusted and fuming.
This isn't one of them.

Although it gives you results of which Martha Stewart would be proud, it's truly as simple as 5 ingredients.

That's right, FIVE.

Break out that apron girl.


Strawberry & Raspberry Galette (Slab Pie)
slightly adapted from The Family Kitchen

  • 1.5 cups each fresh strawberries and raspberries (total 3 cups)
  • 1 prepared round of pie dough
  • 1 egg white
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup sparkling sugar

    Place the round of pie dough on a parchment lined baking sheet. Wash and dry the berries, then place them in a heap right in the center of your pie dough. Carefully fold the edges of the pie dough around the berries, pinching it together to keep the edges in place. Melt the butter and drizzle half of it over the berries. Whisk the egg white into the remaining bit of butter. With a basting brush, spread the butter/egg mixture all over the edges of the pie crust, then sprinkle with sparkling sugar. Bake in an oven preheated to 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve piping hot with giant scoops of vanilla ice cream.

    See, I told you it was simple.

    Notes:

    1. I used fresh strawberries and raspberries but any combination of fresh berries will work. (Oooh, just think of the lovely color combinations!) Use one kind or three, just make sure to keep the quantity at 3 cups.
    2. Buy a good quality pre-made crust. This is important.
    3. If you have cracks in your unrolled pie crust use a dab of water and your fingers to pinch the cracks together. You want a completely crack-free dough, otherwise your fruit will ooze out while baking.
    4. I divided the butter and let one half cool a bit while I drizzled the other half on the fruit. I wanted it to cool a bit before adding whisking w the egg white (curdling is bad.)
    5. I didn't use the entire 1/4 c sparkling sugar. I just covered the crust completely and discarded the rest. *This step is very important though so don't skip it, otherwise your galette will be tart as there's no other sugar in this recipe at all.*
    6. I used a pizza cutter to cut and serve my galette as I would a pizza. It worked great. (see above photo)
    7. You must, and I repeat MUST, serve this with ice cream (vanilla is my fave.) It takes this dessert from great to AMAZING. Don't skip it.
    8. Anyone else like the word "galette" as much as I do? It sounds so impressive and French. I mean you ARE a baking rock-star. No one but us needs to know that fancy can be easy too.
       

    Thanks so much Erin! Anyone else as ready for summer as I am now?



    Yes! Summer, I am ready for you! Eight weeks from today is the last day with students. Not that I’m counting, or anything. ;)

    What’s your favorite summer-y dessert? I’ve always been a shortcake–with-peaches-or-berries-or-even-both girl, so Faith’s dessert is right up my alley. :)

  • 13 comments :

    1. Erin, that looks AMAZING. I'm gonna have to make that soon. I wanted to let you know that I'm sending you a Liebster Award. Please stop by my page to check it out : )
      Hugs ~
      Deanna

      ReplyDelete
    2. Ummmmm, this looks ridiculously good. Faith's mission in life is to beef up her blog friends. She tries to hide it. I'm on to her.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Dang it. Cats out of the bag. Now eat up! ;)

        Delete
    3. This looks so tasty, and it's beautiful! Not sure I could bring myself to destroy it by eating it... what a conundrum!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Thanks so much friend! I'm so honored to be here today.
      (Also, I had a dream you took me furniture shopping. No pressure. :))

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. hahaha well next time I'm looking for a couch in Texas, I'll be sure to swing by and pick you up. ;)

        Delete
    5. MMMMmmmmm, holy sweetness!! I'm going to try this asap. Thanks for the tips too, Faith!

      ReplyDelete
    6. YUM! Looks delicious. Favorite summer recipe for me is banana pudding. I can't get enough!

      ReplyDelete
    7. I was hooked at the word easy. And strawberries. And pie crust. And easy. And sugar. And butter. And easy. ;)

      Apparently, I'm easy to please.

      This is what my sister and I would describe as "yummicous" which sounds not good, but is very good. I'm going to have to add this to my recipe pile (because I'm that organized) and impress some people with this slab of fanciness. :)

      And I'll be sure to call it galette. ;)

      ReplyDelete
    8. Yum! That looks so good! One of my favorite parts of summer is all of the yummy berries, and I can't wait to try this. Although in Seattle, Summer doesn't start until mid-July, so it might be a while...

      ReplyDelete
    9. yummmm!! i can't get enough of fruit desserts, this is going to have to be made soon!

      ReplyDelete
    10. I LOVE FAITH!! I am totally going to pin this and try it sometimes. I HATE those recipes that claim "easy" but they are not - this one looks like something I could totally do!

      ReplyDelete
    11. Mmm..that sounds delicious!! Erin, I'm with you on the peachy desserts..I die over peach ice cream and peach cobbler. So, so good!

      ReplyDelete

    I love to hear from my readers, so don't be shy. :) Thanks for being here!

    Want to read more?

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...