2.24.2012

$17.50 + Spray Paint = Closet Lighting Upgrades

Remember the lighting we bought at that garage sale on steroids? Yeah, me either. That’s because it was about a million months ago and when I buy things a million months ago I tend to forget they exist.

DSC_0388-1

My neglectful behavior has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that we store our extraneous purchases in a room that looks like this:

DSC_1534

Artful hoarding is in; didn’t anyone tell you?

Anyway, with closet/stairway progress being fully underway, and an unsightly boob light occupying the ceiling, we decided it was time to locate those lighting purchases of yore and use them. (Can you find the chandelier in the photo above?) It was a whopping 42 degrees and sunny a couple days this week, so I took the opportunity to head outside and do some spray painting. I didn’t mind the brassy finish on the chandelier, but it didn’t work in the closet, and the rusty sconce definitely needed a new look.

DSC_0377-1

So I used Rustoleum’s ____________ on both. ____________ because there’s no name on the can, as far as I can see. I think I’ll name it something exciting, like “Deep Metallic Intrigue.” Except that sounds like something you’d buy in an adult store. I can see it now: “Rick, could you please hand me that can of Deep Metallic Intrigue?” Errrm. Never mind.

DSC_1555

Here they are gussied up and in their natural habitat.

DSC_1545

DSC_1548

DSC_1550

DSC_1552

DSC_1539

And here’s what we started with (sort of—the attic wall has partially been built in the photo below, but it’s the only good picture of the boob light that I have):

closet50

closet51

So there you have it: our $17.50 plus spray paint lighting upgrade. The chandelier was $16, the sconce was $1.50, and the spray paint was around $5. That is my kind of home improvement, friends. What have you saved money on lately? Do you have a room in your house where purchases go to die? Who has plans for this weekend? Let’s talk!

P.S. Zoe is feeling much better after her surgery yesterday. How do we know? Well, she stopped sitting foggily in the middle of the living room and began, once again, digging through the bathroom garbage looking for Q-tips. Reason 3,812 why we don’t buy “real” cat toys. :)

29 comments :

  1. Anonymous2/24/2012

    Those turned out awesome! Excellent job and best $17.50 I've seen in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding me??? They look amazing! The whole closet does, in fact. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those turned out really well! I can't wait to get my yard sale on this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am so jealous of your closet. It feels so luxurious to have a chandelier in your closet. That sconce is super cool. I bought a couple light fixtures at The Habitat Restore 2 weeks ago. They are currently awaiting spray paint too :-) Maybe I'll go to the adult, um, I mean, hardware store for some Deep Metallic Intrigue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I love the ________ you chose.

    I'm actually in the market for one of those chandeliers, just have to wait for yard sale season to start around here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look great! I love the sconce, only $1.50, what a great find! Spray painting in 42 degree weather did not work well for me last week, glad it did for you! Isn't it great to de-boobify your ceilings, I am in the process of doing the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I knew it was a little risky since the can says 50 degrees “for best results”… but it worked!

      Delete
  7. Holy sponge painting.
    The lighting looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha yeah...we're anxious to do something about that purple sponge painting. :)

      Delete
  8. The lights look great! I love what a little bit of paint can do! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The power of spray paint!! I love both fixtures. So clean and simple and a huge improvement over boob light:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely, positively gorgeous! I love them both, but am really extra jealous of that sconce! *pouts*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE THEM BOTH! Yes- capitals and an exclamation mark were needed there. They look fantastic! I just bought a couple chandeliers for the wedding that will be getting a coat of paint. I love that ____ colour you chose- wonder if I can find that here. That sconce is awesome too- love it!

    The new header looks fantastic too btw!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your lighting choices and their makeovers... They add more fun character.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the individual who first designed the boob light must have some sort of pyschopathology. Freud would have much to say about that...but then again I think Freud had some issues too.
    Anyway, those fixtures look AMAZING. You need to teach me how to spray paint. I always get drips and I promise I follow the instructions. Yours look flawless. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bahaha Freud...I'm now curious about this inventor. Do you think somewhere in the world someone is specifically credited with the creation of the boob light? I must look into this.

      Delete
  14. Great update on the fixtures! Glad to hear Zoe is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. those look amazing! i can't wait to start thrifting once we get moved in to our new place. so glad ur little baby feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a magical upgrade for only $17.50! I'm getting the thrift store itch again...

    ReplyDelete
  17. And THIS is why I miss your blog every time I go away.

    Gosh, you make me laugh. I want to print your posts and put them on my walls...except that might be considered strange.

    Your decorating is definitely my kind of decorating. Which basically means we are both awesome. And ohhhhh, how I would love an art hoarding room. Come to think of it, my closet kind of looks like that.

    Have a honey of a weekend. (Heh, heh. I've been honey-less for a few days. No worse. No better. Just took a break.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The black look striking against the white walls. Great upgrade.
    Instead of hoarding recent purchases, I hoard furniture and things I've grown tired of and/or no longer have a need for. I really need to have a yard sale this spring...

    ReplyDelete
  19. How did you find such pretty lights? Everything I find is scary..and I'm afraid they are going to burn my house down.

    And tell me you are keeping the purple sponge paint...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sponge paint once ate our house for breakfast. And lunch. It shared dinner with the birdhouses.

      Delete
  20. I absolutely love this! What a difference!! That just turned out so sleek and smooth! Amazing difference!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just got through reading farther back in older posts I missed. Farther back than I'd like to admit! The Honey Do series was awesome. I just had to comment on this though because I LOVE how the fixtures look now!

    Art hoarding is soooo in. Mine is confined to a closet, but I always forget about stuff I get great deals on.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love what a can of spray paint can do. I'm currently debating spray painting my jewelery holder that I got for Christmas. But then I think that is mean to spray paint a gift. Hmm..the dilemmas I'm faced with on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so don't be shy. :) Thanks for being here!

Want to read more?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...