Happy Wednesday, friends! I was tagged recently by Brooke of Inside Out Design and Maury of Life on Mars (thanks, ladies!) in a fun Q&A bloggy game. I was given 22 questions between the 2 of them, but had a sneaking suspicion that nobody would stick around for that much drivel about my life, so I picked 6 each of the questions that they came up with. I’ve tagged 11 other bloggers at the bottom of this post, and included 11 new questions for them to answer!
But first, my own answers.
1) What is one thing you can’t live without?
There’s plenty I could live without, but one thing I wouldn’t like to live without is my own bathroom. I like camping (mostly) with the exception of not having my own shower and sink and toilet. Something about how daddy longlegs aren’t generally a part of personal hygiene. If I could vacuum pack my bathroom into my suitcase for every camping trip we take, I would.
2) What’s the most unusual thing you’ve ever eaten?
Um…plain Shredded Wheat? No seriously. I am not an exotic eater. I haven’t, for instance, ever eaten goat tongue or leg of porcupine. (Gross?) The most unusual thing I’ve eaten in the past week is roasted brussel sprouts. Rick said they tasted like battery acid and I was not quick to disagree.
3) What is in your purse right now?
Garbage. Junk. Dirt. I need to attack it with several Lysol wipes; it’s probably swarming with bacteria and is seriously grossing me out. As far as non-microbial objects go, though, there are bobby pins, paint swatches, old receipts, older receipts, expired coupons, really expired coupons, and maybe my cell phone, keys, and wallet, if I remember to put them back in there after I use them.
4) What is one of your pet peeves?
I’ll be honest here: comments about my size from people who don’t know me well. “Do you ever eat?” Yes, I do. I’m petite. It’s genetic. What’s more, I’m in a healthy weight range for my height. But I don’t even waste time responding with those facts anymore. I’m not sure if sometimes people think they’re being nice, but suggesting to me that I have an eating disorder is not a compliment. It is insensitive to just how serious an eating disorder actually is. And it especially makes me sad and uncomfortable when they ask me that question in a jealous tone.
5) How long does it take you to get ready in the morning?
I clock in at a little under an hour from the time I get out of bed to the time I get in my car. This includes breakfast and other necessary morning activities like petting the cats and trying to find my cell phone.
6) What is the greatest gift you’ve ever been given?
My salvation. No other gift can compare.
7) Do you have a "Monica's closet" aka a hidden space in your house that's either a total mess or completely undecorated?
Of course not! I am perfect and my house is pristine. See?
8) What made you decide to start a blog?
I discovered the world of home blogs when I googled “how to paint furniture” a couple years ago and found myself on this page at Young House Love. I’ve always liked to write, but hadn’t, until blogging, done much in the way of “personal writing” since high school. After a while of hemming and hawing over whether or not to start a blog of my own, I caved. It’s been an enormous stress relief for me and a hobby that I have truly come to love.
9) What is the best decorating tip that you've learned from another blog?
Carol of The Design Pages left a comment on another blog saying that she gives her clients the following advice: “Finish the vision before you start over.” I am guilty of wanting to start over so many times, especially because my vision is blurry at best when it comes to my plan for a room. But waiting to see how it will all turn out will, ultimately, save me a lot of time and money. I don’t think I’d ever finish anything if I started over every time I started second-guessing myself.
10) What is your favorite movie?
Well, you all know the answer is Enchanted…but in terms of other movies that I have also watched repeatedly, I’d have to say…Hairspray. The Emperor’s New Groove. Legally Blonde. August Rush. The Sound of Music. Never Been Kissed. The Aristocats. Mrs. Doubtfire. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. Phantom of the Opera. I can’t think of the others…
11) What is your favorite food?
Pasta. Bread. CARBS. I’m also a fan of my fruits and veggies, unless they taste like battery acid. Basically, I could never, ever go on the Atkins diet. I also like shrimp. Oh, and chocolate…
12) What is your all-time favorite blog post?
Oh gosh. I don’t know. I have fun writing every single one. But one that’s old and many of you probably haven’t read is this one from my old apartment blog—it contains my thoughts on what I predicted “closing on a house” would be like. It involves Barbara Streisand and snow angels. Since we closed on our house just a little over a year ago, I thought it would be a timely post to include. :)
I’m tagging the following bloggers who I haven’t passed things on to before AND who I haven’t seen already get tagged. These lovely ladies now have to answer MY questions (buahaha…if they want to…)
Gail @ Sophisticated Steps
Laura @ The Butlers
Michelle @ Décor and the Dog
Kelly @ View Along the Way
Ashley @ Attempts at Domestication
Lyndsay @ That 70s House
Karen @ Strictly Simple Style
Carrie @ Hazardous Design
Megan @ The Remodeled Life
Melody @ Elisabeth Jean
Katie @ Wildwood Creek
Skye @ Neathering Our Fest
1. You’ve been forced at gunpoint to sing karaoke. What song do you choose?
2. What color is dominant in your wardrobe?
3. What is your all-time favorite flavor of ice cream?
4. What was the first thing you ever wanted to be “when you grew up”?
5. What is your most memorable high school experience?
6. If you could go on any TV game show, what would it be?
7. What’s the best book you’ve ever read?
8. How far have you traveled from home?
9. If you could win a gift certificate to any store, what would it be?
10. What’s your favorite season?
11. What are your thoughts on brussel sprouts? (baha.)
That’s it! Who can relate to any of my answers? Who can’t? I’d love to hear from you either way. :)
***If you were tagged, these are the rules!***
1. You must post the rules.
2. Answer the 11 questions the tagger posted for you and then create 11 new questions to ask the people you’ve tagged.
3. Tag 11 people and link them in your post.
4. Let them know you have tagged them.